18 April 2007

I know this is off-topic, but it's important to me

I've never been a huge meat eater and have at points even been a "pseudo-vegetarian."

My meat intake is really limited to chicken breasts, filet mignon, and in-n-out burgers. I eat dairy products, such as yogurt, cheese, and milk. Even then, most everything was organic.

After reading information on www.GoVeg.com, I'm done with animal products.

Thinking about my diet, it really shouldnt be that hard to do. The hardest thing will be dairy and egg products, but even then there are a ton of great replacement products. I actually prefer Chocolate Silk Soy Milk to regular chocolate milk. Cheese is my greatest weakness, but I've been hearing about vegan type cheeses for a long time and how good they can be. Luckily, most bread does not contain animal products past, oh say, butter (which isnt in most bread recipes anyways), but you can get replacements for that (I already use smart balance instead of butter.) Tortillas will be hard too at restaurants because most contain animal fat or lard, but its easy to find vegetarian/vegan tortillas at places like trader joes.

which leads me to another conundrum. im moving home and there is no whole foods there. i mean the closest thing to one is this really tiny not mainstream organic foods mart. looks like ill be eating a lot of trader joes foods lol.

I could write a whole essay on the animal cruelty and health aspects, but if you are really interested, the website spells everything out much better than I could.

The health benefits alone should be enough to think about a switch (average vegetarian cholesterol level=133...no documented heart attacks for people with cholesterol under 150...things like that) but the animal cruelty puts the nail in the coffin. not even organic animals are treated humanely!

4 comments:

B said...

thanks for the link- I just watched the video about the pigs- I am at work and I thought I was going to vomit. I have been a vegetarian for 18 years and that kind of behaviour makes me sick.

I think it's great that you are going veg.

Beauty in the Breakdown said...

i cant even bring myself to actually watch the videos or look at the pictures. the article are enough

christine said...

It's great that you're becoming a vegan!

...but it's not that easy. Make sure to avoid items that include ingredients such as whey and lactic acid, etc.

Also, there are a lot of cosmetic companies that use animal testing. You might want to research it... you'd be surprised. Most companies actually do use animal testing.

Andrea D said...

Congrats, Jess. It's a big step. Remember that if you end up slipping and eating something animally, it's just a temporary setback. :)

And don't discount that tiny health food store. They might be your salvation.

Oh, and as a pseudo-vegan - most vegan cheeses suck. BUT there are some great recipes out there for nut cheeses that I really like.